Thursday 20 December 2018

SLJ, Week 1 Day 1 In The Beginning

DAY 1 

Activity 1:

Top 3 Fun Facts:

30% of New Zealand's land is covered in forestry.

Aotearoa means, land of the long white cloud, and Aotearoa is also the Maori name for New Zealand.

'Once Were Warriors', 'The Whale Rider', 'The Piano', and 'Lord of The Rings' are the most popular movies in New Zealand.

Activity 2:

North and South:

I live in barrytown on the west coast of the south island, where you can find many pieces of jade. (Also known as pounamu or green stone.) There are many black sand gold mines here, where they are slowly finding their fortune. On the little farm that I live on, most of the land has been mined.  You can see where it has been mined because the grass in the summer goes very dry and yellow in summer (there is very little top soil and loads of stones), where as in the places that haven't been mined, they are still dry but are visibly greener. Also near barrytown is Punakaiki where after hundreds of years, the sea has formed stones that look like pancakes hence they got the name pancake rocks. In the West Coast you will find that there are many coal mines or there once were many coalmines. I live over the Paparoa Ranges from the biggest mine disaster that  happened on the west coast. 29 people died and the fire is still going after 8 years, they are only just starting to make plans about reentering the mine. So that's where I live and whats special about it!    

Activity 3:

Ice, Ice Baby:

Being smart online, can save you from being hacked and scammed. Sometimes you get called from places like China, trying to get you to do some thing on your devise, DON'T DO IT!!!! They can get really annoying though (I know from experience!) Here's my guide to being smart online!!



3 comments:

  1. Hello Iris!!!

    This is a great blog post for the first 3 activity for the Summer Learning Journey! What has been your favourite activity so far? I like your facts about Barry town and Punakaiki! Good job on telling people how to stay safe online, I like how you have go lots of colour it looks really cool and stands out! Keep up the great work Iris! I can't wait to see future posts from the activities for Summer Learning Journey! Your facts are really interesting about New Zealand, Have you watched The Whale Rider before? I have and it is a great movie!

    Keep working hard Iris!

    He Whetu Koe! (Your a star!)

    Katelynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Iris,

    I'm Evelyn and I will be working with the Summer Learning Journey team for 2018-2019 to read and follow amazing blog posts like yours! I am so excited to read what pops into that wonderful brain of yours and hope you have fun on this journey!

    Those are some interesting facts about New Zealand! I've lived here my whole life and had no idea about some of these facts so thank you for telling me a bit more about our country! Well done for putting the information into your own words, you have made an excellent start to the Summer Learning Journey! :)

    I've never been to Barrytown before but I went to Greymouth when I was around 6 years old. I don't remember too much of the trip though. I would love to visit your hometown and see all the beautiful pieces of jade/pounamu/green stone! Wow, you have a lot of knowledge about your hometown, I'm very impressed! You have made great use of adjectives to describe your hometown and I can clearly picture it in my head so thank you for that. I will make sure to check our Pancake Rocks when I come visit, it sounds interesting. Have you been to Pancake Rocks before? What is your absolute favourite thing to do or place to go to in your hometown?

    I love the way you have arranged the words in your footprint, it's very creative! You seem well prepared and have good knowledge when it comes to being cyber smart on the internet and creating a positive digital footprint. You are absolutely correct, we must always be aware of what we put online for others to see as well as who we answer the phone to. Remember, if you are unsure about anything you see or find on the internet, you should always ask a trusted adult who can help and guide you. You have done a wonderful job of explaining how to behave in a smart way on the internet but how can we make sure our friends, family and other people enjoy the internet as much as we do? What sorts of behaviour might we model or encourage? I trust that as long as you follow these rules, you will be on your way to having a safe and fun Summer Learning Journey!

    Keep up the awesome work,
    Evelyn :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Iris,

    I really like the way you have used a range of colour's other than black. Also I like the way that you are participating in this summer learning. Maybe next time you could make the image a little bit bigger as it is hard to read when it is small!! Other than that Great job:)

    Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.