Sunday 6 January 2019

SLJ, DAY 5, WEEK 1, Blink And You'll Miss It

DAY 5:

Activity 1:

Towering Timbers:

I think that there can still be loggers but to keep them confined in a small area in the forest, making sure to check that there are no animals in or around the tree. My Mother came from the Houston timber mills down in Hari Hari, and My Fathers family also came from a mill. As long as there are still more native forest then there is logged forest.

Activity 2:

Living On The Edge:

Letter To My Family From Tundra:

Dear Mum and Dad,
Here in Tundra it is so cold I am wear about 3 layers or cloths every day sometimes more!!! Going outside we have meet many Arctic Hares, Snowy Owls, and Arctic Foxes, We have even seen some Reindeer!!! The area we are in is so pretty and we are learning heaps from the old traditions and the effect climate change has in the place. It feels pretty weird not having trees surrounding us like back home!! My Favorite animal is differently the Arctic Foxes, they are so cute, and the way they jump around looking for mice to eat is so cute. You should really come to see this place one day.
See you Soon!!!

Activity 3:

Going, Going... Gone:

Living in New Zealand is amazing, being surrounded by seas, trees, and great views. Coming to live here so long, I forget how beautiful my surroundings are. The fresh air through New Zealand is great. I live where to the front you see the sea - where he sun sets - and to the back is the mountains - where the sun rises - and in the middle of fields of grass. The birds and frogs, crickets and cows, dogs and cats, goats and chickens, all ways filling your ears with sounds. Where you hear horns and cars thought out the day, I hear native animals, but all so in the city parts we all so hear, the cars and horns. New Zealand is an amazing country made up of amazing sounds, sights, and air. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Iris,

    I must say, it's very interesting to hear what you think and have to say about logging. I honestly love the way you have thought about this topic as well as the ideas you have come up with and I completely agree with you. Yes, logging definitely forces animals to give up their homes and try to find new ones. Unfortunately, these animals aren't always successful so it's really important that we start planting more trees in our country to keep it alive, well and beautiful. In fact, the government has set a goal to plant one billion trees by the year 2028. That's a lot of trees! If you would like to find out more information about the One Billion Trees Programme, head on over to the website I have linked here:
    https://www.mpi.govt.nz/funding-and-programmes/forestry/planting-one-billion-trees/

    Superb work on following the instructions on correctly addressing a letter to someone, awesome work! I love that you have chosen to write to your parents, I think I would have chosen to write to my parents too since they've never been to the tundra before. Great work on including some of the animals you have encountered, I would love to see Arctic hares, snowy owls, and Arctic foxes in real life one day! You've done a wonderful job of describing the place and your experience, I almost feel like I've been there before and experienced the tundra myself!

    This is a fantastic description of our country, well done Iris. We really are lucky to call such a beautiful place like New Zealand home, aren't we? I've been to other countries and I believe that New Zealand has the freshest air in the world! I live in Auckland and it's a very busy and loud city so I would love to visit your area and hear the birds and crickets chirping, frogs calling, cows mooing, dogs barking, cats meowing, goats baa-ing, and chickens bok-boking! Oh my, that was a mouthful! Do you enjoy the sounds of these animals? My favourite animal sound is probably a wolf howling, what about you?

    Best,
    Evelyn :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.